Thursday, October 31, 2013

Early Retirement?

Early retirement?  "Not for me, man.  I enjoy working too much!"

Not exactly the words you usually see on a personal finance blog.  Such is my life.  I'm not really interested in retiring early.

The obvious reason:  As a government employee, I will be eligible for a retirement pension upon working for 30 years.  At that point, I'll get a monthly check (as a result of contributing 6% of my salary every year, for 30 years) equal to around 2/3rds of my (average last four years) salary when I retire.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that won't (possibly) change as I get closer, but I work for a relatively stable State Government that has shown pretty good respect towards honoring retirees in the past.  Usually during tight budget years, or with retirement reforms, they effect only those new to the program, or those who haven't become vested yet.  Seldom do the retro-actively effect those of us with 10+ years of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment